1959 MGA Twin Cam
Contact the seller
Shenandoah, Pennsylvania, United States
Features and Specifications
|Engine:||1,588cc DOHC Inline-four|
|Transmission:||4-Speed Manual Gearbox|
|Drive side:||Left-hand drive|
1959 MG MGA
- Equipped solely for the MGA Twin Cam, the 1,588cc inline-four used an aluminum DOHC crossflow cylinder head and twin SU carburetors to produce a factory rating of over 100 horsepower, a considerable boost over the earlier single-cam version. Fewer than 1,500 miles are reportedly on a rebuild commissioned by Ponder, specific details of which are unknown. A single 12-volt battery replaces the original dual 6-volt system, and an upgraded electronic ignition supplies period braided plug wires.
- Shifting is from a 4-speed manual transmission. Underside photos show the condition of the floors, chassis, and drivetrain, as well as modifications including a performance exhaust and polyurethane A-arm bushings.
- The last service was an oil change in 2018, and although no prior service records or further history are available, the sale includes ownerâ€™s manuals along with shop manuals and period literature.
- Dunlop knock-off steel wheels were specified in order to clear the four-wheel disc brakes fitted on Twin Cam cars.
- The Vredestein Sprint Classic radials reportedly have less than 700 miles of use, and a set of five Dunlop Road Speed tires is also included. Other external differences are limited to a trio of Twin Cam badges, with additional brightwork including an accessory front bumper bar and factory-type luggage rack.
- Originally black, the interior was changed to dark red during the refurbishment. A Bluemelâ€™s Brooklands steering wheel replaces the original, and factory options include competition seats, a heater, and windscreen washer.
- A set of restored Competition Deluxe seats was installed by Ponder along with door pocket covers to match the leather dash equipped on Twin Cam cars. Matching red carpeting is protected by fitted MG floor mats.
- Lights and switches are in working order. The odometer currently shows just over 70k miles . A replacement set of black vinyl side curtains is included in the sale.